Delapre Abbey was built in 1145 by Simon, the son of Simon de Snelis, the second Earl of Northampton. Its proper name being Abbey of St Mary de la Pre was used as an English Monastery and was one of two Cluniac monasteries of women built in England. As with all English monasteries, Delapre Abbey had to surrender to the crown during the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1538. Following much use as a private residence and war service, the Abbey was used as the County Records Office. At present the Grade II listed building remains empty and there are currently some debates over its future use, however a new development plan is in place for the site.